Parish Nurse Ministries of New York, Inc. (PNMNY, Inc.) is an expanding network of nurses striving to identify, certify, and broaden the practice of Faith Community Nursing (formerly known as Parish Nursing) within New York emphasizing its establishment, while developing, supporting, and promoting this specialty within New York Communities. The practice of Faith Community Nursing (Parish Nursing) is open to Registered Professional Nurses’ of all faiths and belief systems. The Parish Nurse Ministries of New York, Inc. will advocate for our communities by promoting access to resources, equity, participation, diversity, and human rights.
To establish this goal the organization will focus on:
- Educating Registered Professional Nurses by utilizing the curriculum developed by the Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing, held by the Spiritual Care Association. This curriculum will prepare Registered Professional Nurses to address the spiritual, mental, emotional, and socioeconomic needs of their faith communities, becoming fully prepared to assume their role as Faith Community Nurses.
- Utilizing the Faith Community Nurse Curriculum, a deeper understanding of individual nurse’s belief system will emphasize the important influence spirituality has on every aspect of life, and how it lends stability and serenity to the individual that is committed to the role of Faith Community Nursing.
- Conferences, seminars, workshops (both virtual and in-person), newsletters, and brochures (via mail/email or our website), are offered to the PNMNY, Inc. Faith Community Nurses to keep them current on changes/updates in this professional ministry practice.
- Identifying, obtaining, and disseminating accurate Resource Materials from reliable sources to Faith Community Nurses and faith communities interested in establishing a Faith Community Nurse Ministry.
- Bringing education to communities about Faith Community Nursing and increasing the awareness of how services can be accessed and utilized through the Faith Community Nurse and this professional ministry. Faith Community Nurses emphasize the link between spirituality/belief system and health, and its significant impact on one’s total well-being.
- Utilizing the Faith Community Nursing Scope and Standards of Practice, in guiding the Faith Community Nurse practice within the New York community at large where the practice ministry resides
- Supporting PNMNY Inc. Faith Community Nurses and faith communities by providing a collegial environment and a supportive forum for nurses of all faiths.